Depression affects 16 million adults each year and this is just statistics from those who report the condition or seek help. Almost one third of adults suffering depression never look for help and continue to struggle on their own. Depression can happen to any one of any age with no regards for social standing or profession. Below are surprising facts that will surprise you about depression.
• Depression can occur without apparent reason. No one knows a single identifiable cause of depression. It can be preceded by stressful events such as divorce, deaths or loss of job. However, sometimes depression begins for no reason. Genetic predisposition may also play a role in depression.
• There is more than one type of depressive disorder. Depressive disorders can range from type and severity. Major Depressive Disorder affects a person every day for two weeks or more with pervasive sadness. Postpartum Disorder affects new mothers who are suddenly faced with sad and hopeless feelings after giving birth. Seasonal depressive order surprisingly affects many people and is related to the amount of sunshine a person gets.
• There aren’t always obvious signs. Each person reacts to depression differently. Some people exhibit signs of sadness, loss of appetite, and little interest in usual activities. Others may gain or lose weight drastically. However, some people are high-functioning depressives who manage their day to day life with little or no sign of their depression.
• Depression takes a toll. People who suffer from depression know the toll it can take on your physically and emotionally. The body reacts to it with stomach aches, headaches and lack of energy. Imaging research has shown that a person who is suffering depression has a brain that appears different than someone who isn’t depressed.
• Young people die from suicide as the second leading cause of death. Some people feel that the only way out of depression is through suicide. Statistics show that there is one death by suicide every 12 seconds here in the United States. This is a startling fact that many people don’t realize
Neurocore has Brain Performance Centers that use specialialized technology to create a map of your brain. They measure neuroplasticity and brainwave analysis. qEEG sensors on your scalp help experts see and diagnose the strengths and weaknesses of your brain patterns. Using this knowledge, they can help pinpoint the issues you are having and give you a clear picture of your overall neurological health.