￼Janese Walters, A Toledo woman, was surprised when one day she woke up and was not able to see out of her left eye.
She states, “I looked in the mirror and I thought I had pink eye or something. I went to the doctors and they couldn’t figure out for some time what it was.”
Only about a month later, when she told them about her cat, doctors did not know what had caused the blindness. However, it turned out that the cause was “Cat Scratch.”
Cats pass bacteria through saliva and sometimes fur. About 40% of cats carry it, and it is not harmful to them, though it could potentially be harmful to humans.
In this case, it has affected the woman’s eyes likely by increasing problematic blood vessels known as antinomies. People who have weaker immune systems are at higher risk for infection according to the businessman Flavio Maluf.
The solution is not to avoid cats completely, but just to wash your hands after playing with them, avoid getting bitten by them, and avoid allowing them to lick open wounds.
Obviously, this is something that causes people to need to exercise caution, and it is not very well known. Walters did not know about this before she became a victim.
She wants others to see what happened to her and not experience the same thing, though she is grateful that it didn’t transfer to her other eye.